Exercising in the water is a great way to start the day, especially if you're older with aching joints that have been around the block a time or two. In fact, swimming is such a great aerobic exercise that many horse trainers rely on swimming and water treadmills for both all-around conditioning and rehabilitating valuable horses after injuries. We're not suggesting you share your pool with a horse, but exercising in the water is low impact, easy to do and great for your health, whether you're a senior walking on two legs or a horse walking on four.
The Benefits of Exercising in Water
When you swim, every system in your body is engaged - a real full body workout. Even better, there's far less stress on joints because the water supports much of your weight. Best of all, exercising in water is fun, making it far more likely you'll be able to make your daily workout a habit you'll stick with. Stay active, enjoy your life and preserve your independence.
7 Easy Water Exercises for Seniors
Try these exercises and you'll feel good about doing something great for yourself. There are a few safety tips: know your limits, don't do water aerobics when you're alone (it's more fun with a friend anyway), and talk to your doctor first.
1. Jogging in Water
Aqua jogging is a wonderful low impact, aerobic exercise. The goal is to work hard enough to get your heart pumping and blood flowing. Without overdoing, challenge yourself a little. All you have to do is walk, march or jog in the water, going from one side to the other. Begin walking and gradually increase your speed to a jog as your fitness level improves.
2. Leg Lifts
Performing leg lifts in the water is a wonderful method for strengthening leg muscles. You will also be improving your balance and strengthening your core.
- While standing in waist-high water, lift one leg out sideways and then lower it.
- Do this until your leg is tired and then switch to the other leg.
3. Arm Curls
Performing arm curls in chest-high helps develop and maintain upper body strength. You'll need to have a pair of water weights.
- With your palms facing either out or toward you, hold the weights out.
- Do an arm curl up and then down.
- Continue until your arms are tired.
4. Flutter Kicks
Flutter kicking is a great addition to a low impact cardio program. Whether or not you use a kickboard is entirely up to you.
- With a kickboard: While holding onto the kickboard, flutter kick with your legs, going back and forth from one side to the other.
- Without a kickboard: Hold onto the side of your pool while floating and keeping your head above the water.
- Perform flutter kicks at a steady rate that will get your heart rate up but won't be exhausting.
5. Leg Swings
- Stand in water up to your lower back.
- Hold on to the side.
- Keeping leg straight, swing leg forward and hold the position for five seconds.
- Perform exercise with other leg.
- Repeat twelve times.
6. Push-Ups in Water
Gradually strengthen your arms, shoulders, and chest without undue stress on your joints.
- Put your hands on the pool's edge a little farther apart than the width of your shoulders.
- While bending your arms, lean toward the wall.
- Straighten your arms and push back out.
- Go slowly and repeat until your arms tire. Don't push yourself too hard.
7. Arm Circles
Arm circles are a fun upper body workout. Begin with slow movements. When you're able to do this at a faster speed, you'll really be strengthening your upper back, shoulders, and heart.
- Stand in water up to your neck. Staying close to the wall will help you keep your balance if you need to grab it.
- Place one foot before you and one behind you.
- Lift your arms out straight, palms down, until your arms are just below the water's surface.
- Move your arms in a circle for 10 to 15 seconds in one direction.
- Then repeat the circular motion in the other direction for 10 to 15 seconds.
Our highly trained and industry award winning technicians at Bay Area Pool Service will take all of the hassles out of maintaining your pool, just as they've done for many thousands of others since 1952. When you're feeling pumped up and ready to enjoy your daily water exercises, you'll see crystal clear water just waiting for you to jump in.
Check out our list of affordable services and call Bay Area Pool Service at 1-855-257-7665 today. Find out how you could enjoy and experience all the benefits of saltwater swimming for you and your family.
Posted by: Gary Crayton III
CONTACT US TODAY